DONíTS In Preparing To
File For Bankruptcy
1. Donít leave out Bank, Checking, Savings,
Brokerage, Credit Union accounts.
2. Don't file if your income is greater than your
3. Donít use your credit cards.
4. Donít take credit card cash advances.
5. Donít use convenience checks.
6. Donít do balance transfers.
7. Donít pay money to Family.
8. Donít pay money to Friends.
9. Donít tell a creditor that you intend to pay.
10. Donít leave assets off of your paperwork.
11. Donít file if you are about to receive a tax
refund or inheritance. Discuss the timing with your attorney.
12. Donít fail to tell your attorney about your
small business, sole proprietorship, partnership, LLC, LLP,
corporation, or hobby.
13. Donít purchase a home shortly before filing
bankruptcy without consulting your attorney.
14. Donít give or gift property to anyone.
15. Donít pay more than $600 on any past due
16. Donít transfer property to anyone.
17. Donít cash out retirement plans or 401kís.
18. Donít take out a second mortgage.
19. Donít gamble.
20. Donít hide assets or debts.
21. Donít post photos of your assets on social
22. Donít take out ďpayday loansĒ.
23. Donít put your money in your kidsí bank
24. Donít omit or Ďsaveí a credit card for after
25. Donít fail to list debt to family or other
26. Don't write bad checks.
27. Donít borrow money.
28. Donít make major financial decisions without
talking to your attorney.
29. Don't get married before filing if your
spouse has a high income.
30. Donít misrepresent facts to your attorney.
31. Donít run up your credit cards in advance of
32 Don't fail to appear at State court hearings,
trial or proceedings; coordinate with your attorney.
33. Donít hide from your attorney. Keep your
attorney updated with your address, phone number and email